Family Law

Family Law covers a broad range of case types that an experienced family lawyer can help you handle while allowing you to better understand your rights as related to your individual case.


Every domestic case is required to go through the mediation process. Mediation is a form of alternative dispute resolution in which a neutral third person called a mediator acts to encourage and facilitate the resolution of a disagreement between two or more parties.  Mediation is a confidential and private process where generally the only persons present are the parties themselves, the parties’ attorneys and a neutral third-party mediator. Mediation often serves the best interests of all parties involved in a legal case, especially in cases where the parties will have an on-going interaction with each other after the case is over. An attorney’s role at mediation is to protect his/her client from the opposing counsel and opposing party, to obtain settlement, to narrow the issues for trial, to control risk, and to utilize confidentiality for his/her client’s benefit.


Whether you are looking to file your divorce or you’ve been served with papers from your spouse, you need an experienced Tallahassee divorce attorney willing to help you through the process and represent you during the course of the entire process.

Child Support

One of the first questions many family law clients have is the amount of child support that will be received after the divorce or custody proceeding completed. This can be a complicated issue that may need to be resolved by a judge. Legal representation is crucial during this process. We will be happy to help and represent you through this process.


Many times, we come across situations where parents have never been married but have children in common with a former partner.  If this is your situation, and you would like to firmly establish your own rights and those of your child, a Petition for Determination of Paternity and Related Relief is the proper type of case for you.


Alimony is a difficult issue whether you receive it or pay it.  We can help you get the support you need or ensure that your payments are fair and equitable.   The Court will examine several factors in order to issue an alimony award.

Child Custody

Complex Asset Distribution

Couples, especially those in long-term marriages, often acquire substantial assets during the marriage.  Whether the assets include a 401(k), pension, business interest or annuity, we will determine a value and the proper distribution of these assets.


There are two main categories of modification cases: (1) a party may seek to have a financial obligation, such as child support, modified; or (2) a party may wish to modify timesharing and parental responsibility.

Contempt of Court/Enforcement

One of the most difficult aspects of your family law case is often the enforcement of a Court order or a child support order.  We aggressively represent clients in enforcing alimony and child support obligations through either an enforcement proceeding or by filing a motion seeking an order holding the other party in contempt of court.

Collecting Past Due Support

Are you owed past due child support, alimony or attorney’s fees?  Was your ex-spouse ordered to pay for certain marital debts in your Final Judgment but is refusing to do so?  If so, we can help.  We can handle collections cases for our clients and provide you the financial relief you need.

Step-Parent Adoption

Some clients seek to make their family whole through the step-parent adoption process.  These are the happiest times for a new couple and the judges also enjoy handling these cases.


Sometimes it is necessary for a party to relocate with their minor children during or after their case.  Any relocation of the minor children more than 50 miles away from their traditional place of residence is governed by Florida Statute section 61.13001.  This statute sets forth the procedures that one must follow in order to properly relocate the minor children.

Domestic Violence

Whether you are seeking to obtain an injunction against someone or you have been accused of committing an act of domestic violence, we can help.  It is important to note that although you are going to Court mainly for an injunction against contact with another person, the Court still has jurisdiction to enter a child support and/or timesharing order when children are involved. The Court also has jurisdiction to enter an alimony award if appropriate.

Name Change

The most common reason for name changes is when a spouse gets divorced and neglects to change her name back to her maiden name.  There are plenty of other reasons to change your name and we can help you through this process.