top of page

Family Law

In Florida's Family Courts, they have changed the term "child custody" to the terms "Parental Responsibility" and "Time-Sharing." It "describes a parent's responsibility and right to make decisions about their children's health, education and well-being." 


In Florida, The Family Courts determine who gets custody of the child in a time-sharing, parental responsibility case.

For parents who are separated, divorced or never married, custody issues can play a big role in your legal situation. Determining who is responsible for your child’s care, including who is authorized to make decisions on their behalf, is one of the most important issues a parent will ever face in court. In some cases, the tensions and conflict involved can create serious difficulty. Tallahassee Family Law Attorney Max Factor is an exemplary professional with the knowledge and skill to represent you.

Not just the courts, but for every one here at Max Factor Law, a child’s best interests are at the heart of any custody issue.


Our child custody attorneys take this responsibility extremely seriously and will represent you--and your child’s-- best interests effectively to the court.  Our goal is to find a co-parenting & time-sharing agreement that best serves your child while also keeping your schedule in mind, and respecting your financial and time commitments. 


Contact us at 850-577-1699.

Our Divorce-Related Services

Divorce is one of the most difficult transformations a family can face. You need legal help. Our firm can represent you in all divorce-related proceedings, including:

Child custody, including working out legal custody designations and developing a realistic co-parenting plan.

Child support. We can help you request a fair child support payment or advocate for a payment amount you can afford. Our firm also assists with paternity disputes.

Mother and a Child
Mother and Child
Private Property

Complex asset and property distribution, which is necessary because couples in a long-term marriage often acquire substantial assets during the relationship. We will determine a value and the proper distribution of these assets.

Alimony or spousal maintenance payments. We will present to the court compelling arguments for approving the amount you request or reducing the amount you have been asked to pay.

Couple in Mediation

Florida’s mandatory mediation process, which is a form of alternative dispute resolution in which a neutral third person called a mediator acts to encourage and facilitate the resolution of a disagreement between the divorcing spouses.

We can help you on an ongoing basis
after your divorce with items such as

Enforcement of child support or other court orders


Requests for modifications of the divorce terms after the divorce is final

Collecting past-due child support or alimony

MFL Photos Cont.png

Relocation with your children after the divorce

Changing your name after your divorce is finalized


Aside from divorce services, our
firm can also support you when you:


Need to file an injunction for harassment against your ex-spouse

Must defend yourself against a domestic violence charge


Wish to establish or challenge paternity findings for your children

New Florida Bill Gives Parents
Ample Right For Amendments

In the wake of signing of Bill CS/HB: 1301 Parenting and Time-sharing of Minor Children by Governor Ron DeSantis comes new legislation that allows parents who are relocating more than 50 miles to modify their current time-sharing plan without having to prove a substantial and material change in circumstance.

Find out how this affects your situation today and give our attorneys a call to get started on your modification, if this applies to you.

To set up a consultation with Max today, click here to let us know your story.

FAQ: How do new time-sharing laws in Florida affect my custody?

In 2023, Governor Ron DeSantis signed into law Bill CS/HB: 1301 Parenting and Time-sharing of Minor Children and with it, come several changes that affect time sharing arrangements for families in Florida.  

One of the biggest changes is that now the rebuttable presumption for equal time-sharing of both parents is in the best interest of the child.  This normally results in a week-on, week-off time sharing rotation between the parents.

In order to get a modification, you have to prove that there has been a substantial and material change in circumstances. If you are curious if this could affect you, contact our attorneys to set up a consultation to learn your best options today.

Can A Father Get Custody Of His Child in Florida?
Family Law Articles

How Do I Increase Child Support?

In Florida, Child Support can be modified at any time based upon a showing of a substantial, permanent and unanticipated change in circumstances. What constitutes a substantial change in circumstances includes but is not limited to, the loss of a job, the termination of the child’s attendance at daycare, the disability of a parent, an increase in the costs of health insurance or daycare, or a substantial increase or decrease (15% or greater) in either parent’s income.

Learn more about Florida's Child Support laws by clicking here.

My Ex Wants To Move With My Children. What Now? 

Both parents usually have visitation rights following divorce or separation in Florida. Taking your child out of state without the permission of the other parent can result in a kidnapping charge. The situation may be different if you plan to move out of state or simply are going on vacation.


For more information, click here. 

Can I Get Child Support If We Were Never Married? 

Marriage is a contract between two adults. Child support is a legal obligation to a child or children by their biological parents. Marriage is not a precursor for child support. In short, the answer is yes - you may be entitled to receive child support regardless of marriage.

For more information, click here. 

My Child's Father Stopped Paying Child Support. How Can I Make Him Pay? 

There are a number of ways to enforce child support. Including: contempt of court, suspension of the obligor’s driver’s license, and the placement of a lien on the obligor’s property. The Florida Department of Revenue has additional enforcement mechanisms including suspension of the obligor’s passport, and seizure of the obligor’s bank account.

For more information, click here. 

If I File For Divorce, Can I Get "Full Custody" Of My Kids? 

Florida judges base their decisions on the best interests of the child. In most cases that means some time with Mom and some time with Dad. In some child custody cases, the time might not be split 50/50. We help parents protect their time with their children. What's in their best interest?

For more information, click here.

Can A Felony Conviction Affect Child Custody?

Depending on the severity of the felony charge in question, you may risk losing custody of your children if you are charged with and/or subsequently convicted of the following types of charges:

  • Murder

  • Domestic Violence

  • Aggravated Assault

  • Sexual Assault

  • Kidnapping

  • Stalking

For more information, click here. 

bottom of page